fact checking Facebook
The other day at work I fact checked an article – Dear Facebook, Rape is No Joke – about Facebook’s willingness to allow pages that make light of violence against women despite their policy (3.7 in their terms of service) against “content that: is hateful, threatening, or pornographic; incites violence; or contains nudity or graphic or gratuitous violence.” After mentioning two pages in particular, “riding your girlfriend softly, cause you don’t want to wake her up” and “you know she’s playing hard to get when you’re chasing her down an alleyway,” the author goes on to claim that “dozens of sites advocating rape or violence against women remain on the site.”
I’m here to tell you that that fact checked out: after a quick search using terms like “rape good” and “hit women,” I found at least 24 such pages. Their creators seem to lack a certain ingenuity because several pages exist to promote the same joke. And I’d love someone to look into the apparent correlation between misogyny and poor punctuation skills. But it still matters because, as author Angi Becker Stevens says in the article:
It would be absurd, of course, to suggest that anyone goes out and commits assault as a direct reaction to a Facebook page. But in reducing sexual violence to nothing more than a joke, they reflect and perpetuate the idea that women are objects to be used for the sexual satisfaction of men. Countless seemingly small things work together to uphold that kind of pervasive misogyny.
Take a gander at the list, if you can stomach it, then sign the petition to get them removed here.
1. Feeling bad after hitting your mom ’cause you thought it was your girlfriend
2. I’d never hit a woman but I’d slap a bitch
3. How come women have more respect for men who hit them?
4. Real men don’t hit women, No! Real women don’t give men a reason to hit them
5. I’d never hit a woman but I’d beat a bitch’s ass all day
6. Never hit a woman, LOL JK, you can if she’s not in the kitchen
7. Blunts are like women, they don’t have to be good as long as you can hit them
8. I won’t hit a woman, but I sure will slap a hoe
9. Hit women (just for fun)
10. Rape is good
11. Ha ha, good rape party
12. Rape, one of the good things in life
13. Hi, I’m a little teapot. I like to get drunk and hit women
14. I beat women like I play my footy, I kick and tackle for over an hour
15. Men should be able to beat women
16. Smoke crack, beat women, nail satan
17. In dedication…Chris Brown songs make me want to beat women
18. Chris Brown taught me how to beat up women
19. Giving beat downs to pregnant women
20. Men who beat women (just knocking sense into them)
21. I liked it better when Eminem beat his women
22. James J. Hamilton’s Personalized Rape Joke Contest
23. Riding your girlfriend softly so you don’t wake her up
24. You know she’s playing hard to get when you’re chasing her down an alleyway.